Not too long ago, to our surprise, we found out we were having a baby and there began our parenthood journey.

6 months or 25 weeks and 6 days into the pregnancy, on January 2, 2010 our baby boy decided he'd had enough time in the womb and that he wanted to join our world.
Kieran McGuire Joseph Born: January 2, 2010 at 11:35pm, weighing: 1.5lbs.

Kieran, we are finding out has many admirers. My husband Corin and I have been touched by all the letters/ phone calls and emails we have received sending us words of encouragement through this time. In response I wanted to give everyone a way to be able to follow along with Kieran's progress and see recent pictures.


Saturday, January 30, 2010

Great things come in small packages

The one feature of Kieran's that everyone is interested in is his size.  The question that we often get is "exactly how small is a 1.5lb baby".  In response to that question we have taken a few pictures that will put into perspective Kieran's size.  In the pictures below you can see a metal band on Kieran's arm or leg.  That band is Corin's wedding band.  Even though I see Kieran everyday and I know his size I still find it shocking that a man's ring can easily slide on and off his arm or leg.  How can anyone be that small? How can a baby be that small and still everything works just like a term size baby.  He's like the barbie dolls we used to play dress-up with when I was a child.

Better yet how does a baby that small have such attitude?  For that is one thing that Kieran does have is attitude.  Even though he can't verbally tell you what he is thinking or feeling he expresses it with his hands and eyes.  He lets the nurses know when he has had enough or when he wants them to come and keep him company.  When he's fed up with the poking and prodding he gets feisty and I don't mean crying like you would expect him to do.  He starts wrinkling his forehead to express he is upset then his hands start.  He'll put one hand on his hose to pull it out while he swats with the other hand to keep the nurse away.  It was so funny to watch Corin and Kieran's nurse yesterday try to organize Kieran in his bed.  Kieran didn't want to have anything to do with it and his little arms just kept hitting both of them.  Now because his arms are so small neither one of them noticed what he was doing but I was standing back and had a front row seat.

His feisty attitude is what is going to help him get through this which I am happy for at the moment, but I sure hope he loses a little bit of it in the years to come if not this kid is going to give me a run for my money and I have a feeling I may not come out the winner in most cases.

No comments:

Post a Comment